China Mobile Limited (the "Company", and together with its subsidiaries, the "Group") was incorporated in Hong Kong on 3 September 1997. The Company was listed on the New York Stock Exchange ("NYSE") and The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited ("HKEX" or the "Stock Exchange") on 22 October 1997 and 23 October 1997, respectively. The Company was admitted as a constituent stock of the Hang Seng Index in Hong Kong on 27 January 1998.
As the leading telecommunications services provider in Mainland China, the Group provides full communications services in all 31 provinces, autonomous regions and directly-administered municipalities throughout Mainland China and in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, and boasts the world's largest mobile network and the world's largest mobile customer base. Its businesses primarily consist of mobile voice and data business, wireline broadband and other information and communications services. As of 31 December 2016, the Group had a total of 460,647 employees, 849 million mobile customers and 77.62 million wireline broadband customers with its annual revenue exceeding RMB700 billion.
The Company's ultimate controlling shareholder is CMCC, which, as of 31 December 2016, indirectly held approximately 72.72% of the total number of issued shares of the Company. The remaining approximately 27.28% was held by public investors.
In 2016, the Company was once again selected as one of "The World's 2,000 Biggest Public Companies" by Forbes magazine, and recognized again on the Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index. Currently, the Company's corporate credit ratings are equivalent to China's sovereign credit ratings, namely, AA–/Outlook Negative from Standard & Poor's and Aa3/Outlook Negative from Moody's.